Bill and list,

On May 21, 2015 03:01, "Bill Vance" <s...@xpresso.seaslug.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 20 May 2015, chris hermansen wrote:
>

> > Bill and list
> >
> > On May 20, 2015 05:18, "Bill Vance" <s...@xpresso.seaslug.org>
> > wrote:
> > >

> > > I'm running an MSI 64 bit motherboard, with an intel quad
> > > pricessor, kubuntu 12.04, and using the on board sound
> > > system.
> >
> > One thing you might want to try is a more up to date distro on a
> > USB stick. Like kubuntu 15.04 for instance.
>

> Why a usb stick?  Is there some way to use the stuff
> on the stick without actually running the stick OS?
> Otherwise, I see no point as I've allready tried 14.04.
> It's like someone made a study of everything I do, and
> how I go about it, and then, surgically removed it all
> from the distro.  A completely UNsatisfactory experience.
>
> Everything worked fine on the 32 bit version, there's
> just a few things on the 64 bit version that are giving
> me fits.  I much prefer fixing those, but one can't
> know how to do _everything_ with out a little help, here
> and there.

The point of using a USB stick with a live distro is to see whether you
continue to have the same problem with newer software, especially the
kernel, without you needing to install a bunch of new stuff.

I guess an alternative would be for you to find a newer kernel for your
current distro, install it, and see if it cures the problem.

12.04 is quite an old distro and not too many people are going to be
interested in debugging it if a newer kernel / distro fixes the problem.

If that doesn't resolve the Alsa problem and you want to get more specific
help, you should provide more specific information.

Read this:

http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Help_To_Debug

Run the info gathering script described there. It might be useful to run it
on the working and non - working situations.