Hello,

I like alsa sound system and as I have had many many stability trouble
with other intermediate tools, I would not like to use those.

I want to achieve something that should be trivial but I can not get it
working. I hava laptop and from time to time, I want to play and record
high quality audio. For that I use Edirol's UA25 USB soundcard. I can
configure both, inner and external soundcards to work by satisfying
following criteria:

1. multiple applications can play and record at the same time on the devices
2. the played back signal on default is recordable on looprec input device
3. if UA25 is unplugged, the default playback must work well

Picture is here:
.-----------.
|  edirol   |--------------------------.
'-----------'                          |
            .---------------.   .---------------.
            |  softvolume   |-->|    hw:UA25    |
            '---------------'   '---------------'

.-----------.          .---.   .---------------.
|  default  |--------->| M |-->|  hw:internal  |
'-----------'          '---'   '---------------'

.-----------.      .----------.
|  looprec  |<-----| loopback |
'-----------'      '----------'

edirol- the device name I use for playing and recording of high
resolution audio
default- this is the old good default device when no options is
specified for application
looprec- the device for recording of what is payed out

It would be terrific to route the sound played into default also to
softvolume device. Then with mixer I can choose how strongly I want the
default playback into UA25 output using the softvolume control. At the
same time playing into edirol must be possible. And this is what I am
unable to achieve. I have googled and tried tens of configurations and
something does fail always.

Thanks a lot. Any help is welcome.

alsa version
~]$ rpm -qa | grep alsa
clalsadrv-2.0.0-7.fc20.x86_64
alsa-firmware-1.0.27-2.fc20.noarch
alsa-plugins-pulseaudio-1.0.27-2.fc20.x86_64
wine-alsa-1.7.35-1.fc20.x86_64
alsa-lib-devel-1.0.27.2-2.fc20.x86_64
alsa-lib-1.0.27.2-2.fc20.x86_64
alsa-tools-firmware-1.0.27-3.fc20.x86_64
alsa-lib-1.0.27.2-2.fc20.i686
alsa-plugins-pulseaudio-1.0.27-2.fc20.i686
alsa-lib-devel-1.0.27.2-2.fc20.i686
alsa-utils-1.0.27.2-4.fc20.x86_64

The asoundrc I have assembled is here. By switching the pcm.!default to
multicard_route should acomplish it but it fails with well known "aplay:
set_params:1204: Broken configuration for this PCM: no configurations
available"
--------------------------------------

# EDIROL UA25 section

pcm_slave.edirol_hw {
        pcm "hw:UA25"
        format S24_LE
        channels 2
        rate 44100
}

pcm.edirol_mix {
        type dmix
        ipc_key 1945263
        slave edirol_hw
}

pcm.edirol_dsnoop {
        type dsnoop
        ipc_key 1945264
        slave edirol_hw
}

pcm.edirol_asym {
        type asym
        playback.pcm "edirol_mix"
        capture.pcm "edirol_dsnoop"
}

pcm.edirol {
        type plug
        slave.pcm "edirol_asym"
}

# DEFAULT device with loopback

pcm_slave.loopback_hw_A {
        pcm "hw:Loopback,0,0"
        rate 44100
        periods 128
        period_time 0
        period_size 1024 # must be power of 2
        buffer_size 8192
}

pcm_slave.loopback_hw_B {
        pcm "hw:Loopback,1,0"
        rate 44100
        periods 128
        period_time 0
        period_size 1024 # must be power of 2
        buffer_size 8192
}

pcm.loopback_mix {
        type dmix
        ipc_key 1025
        slave loopback_hw_A
}

pcm_slave.default_hw {
        pcm "hw:0,0"
        rate 44100
        periods 128
        period_time 0
        period_size 1024 # must be power of 2
        buffer_size 8192
}

pcm.default_mix {
        type dmix
        ipc_key 1024
        slave default_hw
}

pcm.multidev_loopdefault {
        type multi
        slaves {
                a { pcm "default_mix"; channels 2 }
                b { pcm "loopback_mix"; channels 2 }
        }
        bindings{
                0 { slave a; channel 0 }
                1 { slave a; channel 1 }
                2 { slave b; channel 0 }
                3 { slave b; channel 1 }
        }
}

pcm.multidev_route {
        type route
        slave.pcm "multidev_loopdefault"
        slave.channels 4
        ttable.0.0 1
        ttable.1.1 1
        ttable.0.2 1
        ttable.1.3 1
}

pcm.edirolink_control {
        type softvol
#       slave.pcm "edirol_mix"
        slave.pcm "edirol"
        control {
                name "UA25Link"
                card UA25
        }
}

ctl.softvol {
        type hw
        card UA25
}

pcm.multi_card {
        type multi
        slaves {
                a { pcm "multidev_route" ; channels 2 }
                b { pcm "edirolink_control"; channels 2 }
        }
        bindings{
                0 { slave a; channel 0 }
                1 { slave a; channel 1 }
                2 { slave b; channel 0 }
                3 { slave b; channel 1 }
        }
}

pcm.multicard_route {
        type route
        slave.pcm "multi_card"
        slave.channels 4
        ttable.0.0 1
        ttable.1.1 1
        ttable.0.2 1
        ttable.1.3 1
}

pcm.!default {
        type asym
        playback.pcm "multidev_route"
#       playback.pcm "multicard_route"
        capture default_hw
}

pcm.looprec_dsnoop {
        type dsnoop
        ipc_key 1026
        slave loopback_hw_B
}

pcm.looprec {
        type plug
        slave.pcm "looprec_dsnoop"
}

--
Lugupidamisega >> Best regards >> Mit freundlichen Grüßen >> Saludos
   /\  Peeter Vois <tau...@tauria.ee>