First, I have a Xonar D2 sound card.  It does not have a separate master
volume control in the alsamixer.  If I use amixer with the 'Master'
option the volume of each individual channel goes up or down depending
on whether I execute

amixer -c 1 sset Master 1+ &

or

amixer -c 1 sset Master 1- &

The problem with this arrangement is that if the master volume in the
command is set too high the relative volume setting between the channels
is lost.  Is there an alsa application that can change the overall
volume in this case while maintaining the relative volume setting
between the channels.

Second, for a Xonar Essence STX/STX II with H6 daughter board is there a
separate (hardward) master volume control in alsamixer and also if a
headphone is plugged into headphone input of the main board is the 7.1
output (rca jacks) of the daughter board muted?

Thank you for your help.