Alan Bromborsky wrote:
> First, I have a Xonar D2 sound card.  It does not have a separate master
> volume control in the alsamixer.  If I use amixer with the 'Master'
> option the volume of each individual channel goes up or down depending
> on whether I execute
>   amixer -c 1 sset Master 1+ &
> or
>   amixer -c 1 sset Master 1- &
>
> The problem with this arrangement is that if the master volume in the
> command is set too high the relative volume setting between the channels
> is lost.  Is there an alsa application that can change the overall
> volume in this case while maintaining the relative volume setting
> between the channels.

The hardware does not have another volumne control.

When one channel is already at the maximum, it is not possible to
increase the volume of another channel without changing the relative
differences.

> Second, for a Xonar Essence STX/STX II with H6 daughter board is there a
> separate (hardward) master volume control

No.

> if a headphone is plugged into headphone input of the main board is
> the 7.1 output (rca jacks) of the daughter board muted?

It is not possible to use HP and 7.1 at the same time.  There is no
automatic switching; the output is selected with a mixer control.

Regards,
Clemens