During my microsoft tenure I was seeing some alt-y things. Had the chance
to write a considerable amount of node.js, some Java, python and boo. And
when on .NET I introduced and put to work some OSS such as Windsor and
Lucene.NET into some massive web services that were code-managed in git
repositories. So you could say that even within the msft giant the ALT is
not so ALT anymore.

As far as where I got to - my most recent gigs before joining microsoft
were pretty exclusive non-msft - a lot of Rails on AWS, Java, and such. And
in the business I started when leaving microsoft early this year we are
using golang exclusively, (moving off of the initial MVP created in RoR),
and hosting on Azure websites (yey bizpark).

Per the value that an ALT.NET group can provide - the Israeli group that I
started many years back is still alive and kicking these days, four years
after I left it, and in this "new era" day and age. They are running
lightning-talk nights, beer meetings etc every few months, showing off some
latest and greatest stuff both on .net and otherwise. And the occasional
mailing-list discussion on meta things (like how to be an efficient remote
worker, good ways to hire talent, etc.) my point is that a community of
driven people can do more than just "whining" about webforms/MsTest/wahtnot
or offering alternatives.

Ken Egozi.
http://kenegozi.com/ <http://kenegozi.com/blog>
http://www.activegiver.com/