Wendy,

I see no reason to restrict to absolute URIs.

Currently section 6.7.2 of the ALTO protocol spec states:

   uri  A URI at which the ALTO Server provides one or more Information
      Resources, or an Information Resource Directory indicating
      additional Information Resources.

Would adding a reference to section 4.1 of RFC3986 be sufficient, e.g.

   uri  A URI reference (as per section 4.1 of [RFC3986] to one or more
      Information Resources, or an Information Resource Directory
      indicating additional Information Resources.

Ben