Here's my take on the tradeoffs.

Relative URIs simplify the ALTO server. Assuming the server is built on
top of an http handling package, like servlets, the server name and port
number are configured at the http handler level. The ALTO-specific server
code doesn't see, or otherwise need, that information. The server can
extract the server & port from the http handler, but it takes some effort.

On the other hand, relative URIs complicate clients, because the client
must resolve the relative URI in the context of the resource directory
URI. That isn't hard (most http client libraries have a resolve function),
but it is easy to forget. The client will work fine with ALTO servers that
return absolute URIs, but will fail the first time it connects to a server
that uses relative URIs.

It's another example of the Law of Conservation Of Difficulty. :-)

   - Wendy Roome