From: Scharf, Michael (Michael) [mailto:michael.sch...@alcatel-lucent.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2014 5:59 PM
To: IETF ALTO
Cc: Songhaibin (A)
Subject: Potential privacy issue in draft-deng-alto-p2p-ext-01?

Haibin asked me to send the following comment from a private discussion also to
the list:

Section 3.3 of draft-deng-alto-p2p-ext-01 suggest a new Endpoint Property Type
"network_access" for P2P peer selection. As far as I recall, this type of ALTO
guidance was discussed in the past quite a bit, and there may have been privacy
concerns. For instance, draft-ietf-alto-deployments-09 Section 3.2.4. includes
the following statement:

   o  Performance metrics that raise privacy concerns.  For instance, it
      has been questioned whether an ALTO service could publicly expose
      the provisioned access bandwidth, e.g. of cable / DSL customers,
      because this could enables identification of "premium" customers.

That text was already in draft-ietf-alto-deployments before I started to edit
this document.

For P2P use cases, I wonder whether that concern might (still) apply to
endpoint properties such as DSL vs. FTTH as currently suggested
draft-deng-alto-p2p-ext-01.

Michael