Hi Lars, all,

Apologies for commenting late, I was on holidays.

I would like just to comment on the activities we are doing in Telefonica with
ALTO. The objective we pursue is to automate the retrieval of network topology
for optimizing the delivery of video as primary service, targeting additional
services in the future.

Telefonica has its own CDN development, serving VoD and live TV, and adding
contents from 3rd parties. By leveraging on ALTO and interfacing the CDN with
ALTO we try to solve two main issues:

(1)    to retrieve an up-to-date view of the network topology, that is, where
the IP prefixes from the end-users are attached. This is changing along tie
because the reusing of the IP addressed, for instance in the migrations from
xDSL to FTTH, consolidation of central offices, etc (similar situation happens
for mobile service). By now, the actualization of the information is done
manually, every 6 months, creating inefficiencies and being prone to errors.

(2)    to optimize the delivery of service to those customers by taking into
consideration network information (topology, cost map, and in the future
advanced info such as available bw), not only application-side inputs (such as
server loads, etc)

We have completed a 1st PoC leveraging on OSPF. Now we are moving the
validation to a more complex scenario from one of the operational companies of
Telefonica, which leverages on IS-IS and which has end-to-end MPLS
connectivity, but not IP continuity (this implies for instance to handle
several AS’s plus other complications). The objective is to extend the solution
based on ALTO to the other operational companies of Telefonica along the time,
in Europe and Latin America.

In summary, ALTO can help to automate hard tasks related to network operation
and optimize the utilization of the network, benefiting both users and the
operator itself.

Same ideas can be easily extrapolated for services we now foresee (refer to
service edge draft, for instance), or to evolutions of existing content
services (XR/AR). In this respect the value of ALTO is tremendously high.

Best regards

Luis

Dr. Luis M. Contreras

Transport & IP Networks
Systems and Network Global Direction
Telefónica I+D / CTIO unit / Telefónica

Distrito Telefónica, Edificio Sur 3, Planta 3
28050 Madrid
España / Spain

Skype (Lync): +34 91 312 9084