OK, the quick answer is it worked, after a couple of tries.
It took two tries to get it to accept antenna-up orientation. The second time I
used the reboot button from the altimeter config. screen, after saving changes.
Not only did it do pad and continuity beeps, but it fired up the radio and sent
telemetry. It even shut down USB communication, and AltOs closed the config
window on its own.
I powered down and tried power again, twice. It powered up horizontally and did
idle beeps with continuity beeps, and then it powered up vertically and did pad
beeps, etc.
Flirting with disaster, I tried resetting it to antenna down. It went back to
the previous half-functioning state. I put things back and got operation in
antenna up mode.
I let it talk to TeleDongle and it found 11 satellites and soon had 9 in
solution and some nice numbers. Voltages were displayed as well.
I missed one thing in my original note. The beeps were not pad mode, they were
Boost mode, “dah dit dit dit.” Comes from writing the note away from where I
was testing and configuring. Explains having no continuity beeps. When I put
things back, it went back to Boost mode beeps.
Thanks for the help. Hoping 1.9.7 comes out soon enough that I can fly antenna
down at MudRoc, as that’s how the new avbay is built.
Take care,
Lowell