Darin Dugan wrote:

> At 10:30 AM 11/7/2000, Eric Wadsworth wrote:
> >[...]
> >I have some questions:
> >
> >1. I generally avoid beta products when working with critical projects.
> >The company's backup is considered critical. Just how risky is this beta?
> >Worst case scenario: A machine crashes, and I can't restore the data. How
> >unlikely might this be? Other risk: I spend extra time trying to get it to
> >work right, but for some reason it's broken, and I have to revert back to
> >the release version. I'm interested to hear from those using the beta on
> >it's stability.
>
> In general, I'd say I also tend to avoid beta products in production
> environments. It just makes sense. When I originally setup Amanda for our
> backups, I too used 2.4.1p1. I've (mostly) lurked on the mailing list
> since, to get a better feel for Amanda. Time has shown there aren't really
> any good reasons *not* to go with 2.4.2 (for me), as the "beta"
> qualification is mostly a documentation issue. In September or October I
> upgraded to a CVS snapshot of 2.4.2 with absolutely no problems.

Excellent! I know there are betas, and there are betas. I was hoping that this
beta was a beta, if you know what I mean. I'll go and snag it.

> >2. How do I get it? I ftp'd into ftp.amanda.org/pub/amanda and the latest
> >there is amanda-2.4.1p1.tar.gz. There is a 'new' subdirectory, but access
> >is denied.
>
> I'd recommend checking out the latest CVS. Take a look at the Faq-O-Matic
> at www.amanda.org for info on anonymous CVS.
>
> >3. My FreeBSD lets me use the FreeBSD Ports system to install and manage
> >software applications. By installing the beta, I suppose I must abandon
> >using ports for this app?
>
> I'm not specifically familiar with FreeBSD, but you probably shouldn't use
> a port anyway. Way too many things are compiled into the Amanda binary
> (this is planned to change in a future version).

Yes, I did have to modify the skeleton file with a --with-smbclient flag for the
./configure command.

Eric Wadsworth                        email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Conceptual Systems and Software       http://www.consys.com