Does this have anything to do with the tapecycle parameter in the
amanda.conf file and which tape to use next?

# Backupcentral.com/Amanda tape labeling
# Each tape assigned to a configuration needs a unique label. Tapes must
be pre-labeled with   amlabel so AMANDA can verify the tape is one it
should use. Run amlabel as the AMANDA  user, not root. For instance:
# su amanda -c "amlabel daily daily123"

>I don't think most people relabel tapes every time, and certainly not
>with meaningful encoding of such things as the date they were used.
>The typical method is to just create a set of tapes and let Amanda cycle
>around through them, i.e. daily00, daily01, daily02, daily03.

>Why do you want to relabel them each time?  Amanda will tell you (via
>amadmin or amrecover) which tape has which dump image on it.

>Why do you want to relabel tapes each time?  Amanda will tell you (via
>amadmin or amrecover) which tape has which dump image on it.

***Example: I have tape daily555 in the tape drive right now.

When I run amadmin <conf> tape I get these results:

amanda@sundev1 [daily] % amadmin daily tape
The next Amanda run should go onto a new tape.

*Example: When I run amcheck - Amanda tells me it
will not overwrite tape daily555

amanda@sundev1 [daily] % amcheck daily
Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
/dump/amanda: 10171924 KB disk space available, using 9659924 KB.
ERROR: cannot overwrite active tape daily555.
       (expecting a new tape)
NOTE: skipping tape-writable test.

This is why I have been re-labeling the tapes each time. After I force the
re-label
of a tape amflush runs without fail. I also re-label each tape when I need
to run a full dump.
I never thought that made any sense - but I guess Amanda doesn't want to
overwrite good
Valid images.

amlabel -f daily newlabel

Here is my tape list file.

daily119 is a full dump
daily 112 has a weeks worth of incrementals
daily118 is a full dump
daily555 has a weeks worth of incrementals
Tape labels daily01 and daily02 - are now tape labels daily119 and
daily112
I just didn't remove them from the tape list - amrmtape

tapelist "/usr/adm/amanda/daily/tapelist"

amanda@sundev1 [daily] % cat tapelist
20001113 daily119 reuse
20001112 daily112 reuse
20001107 daily118 reuse
20001101 daily02 reuse
20001030 daily01 reuse
20001023 daily555 reuse
amanda@sundev1 [daily] %

--
Denise E. Ives                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Systems Engineer                        734.822.2037

Multilingual Internet Domain Name Registrations - http://www.walid.com