>Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 23:14:53 +0000 (GMT)
>From: Denise Ives <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>Does this have anything to do with the tapecycle parameter in the
>amanda.conf file and which tape to use next?

># Backupcentral.com/Amanda tape labeling
># Each tape assigned to a configuration needs a unique label. Tapes must
>be pre-labeled with   amlabel so AMANDA can verify the tape is one it
>should use. Run amlabel as the AMANDA  user, not root. For instance:
># su amanda -c "amlabel daily daily123"

It would appear to (though I confess I don't recognize the source of the
above; it doesn't appear to be part of the sample amanda.conf, for
example).

>>Why do you want to relabel tapes each time?  Amanda will tell you (via
>>amadmin or amrecover) which tape has which dump image on it.

>***Example: I have tape daily555 in the tape drive right now.

>When I run amadmin <conf> tape I get these results:

>amanda@sundev1 [daily] % amadmin daily tape
>The next Amanda run should go onto a new tape.

That is a function of factors such as tapecycle (from amanda.conf).

>*Example: When I run amcheck - Amanda tells me it
>will not overwrite tape daily555

Indeed; this is a feature.

>>I don't think most people relabel tapes every time, and certainly not
>>with meaningful encoding of such things as the date they were used.

Quite; amanda records such information already.

>>The typical method is to just create a set of tapes and let Amanda cycle
>>around through them, i.e. daily00, daily01, daily02, daily03.

Yup.

>amanda@sundev1 [daily] % amcheck daily
>Amanda Tape Server Host Check
>-----------------------------
>/dump/amanda: 10171924 KB disk space available, using 9659924 KB.
>ERROR: cannot overwrite active tape daily555.
>       (expecting a new tape)
>NOTE: skipping tape-writable test.

>This is why I have been re-labeling the tapes each time. After I force
>the re-label of a tape amflush runs without fail. I also re-label each
>tape when I need to run a full dump.  I never thought that made any sense
>- but I guess Amanda doesn't want to overwrite good Valid images.

Right; that's why it is a "feature".

>amlabel -f daily newlabel

>Here is my tape list file.

>daily119 is a full dump
>daily 112 has a weeks worth of incrementals
>daily118 is a full dump
>daily555 has a weeks worth of incrementals
>Tape labels daily01 and daily02 - are now tape labels daily119 and
>daily112
>I just didn't remove them from the tape list - amrmtape

I suggest minimizing the extent to which amanda's configuration
information mis-matches reality.  Having such mis-matches tends toward
increasing confusion.

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill      [EMAIL PROTECTED]   UNIX System Administrator
Desk: 650/577-7158   TIE: 8/499-7158   Cell: 650/759-0823