Johannes Niess wrote:
> You'll get more details why it is not so easy at the moment. I'd move
> gzip out of the way and make a symlink gzip > bzip2.

That move would "break" gzip and likely cause a lot of confusion,
especially on a multi-user system.

I make a /usr/local/etc/amanda/bin directory and make symbolic links in
that directory to tar and gzip.  I compiled amanda to always use
/usr/local/etc/amanda/bin/tar and /usr/local/etc/amanda/bin/gzip.  If I
wanted to use bzip2 instead of gzip, I would just change
/usr/local/etc/amanda/bin/gzip to be a symbolic link to the bzip2
executable.

My setup works great because I can restore backups of any client on any
other client regardless of the system-dependent location of gzip and
GNUtar.

--
"Jonathan F. Dill" ([EMAIL PROTECTED])