On Thu, 16 Nov 2000, Nate Eldredge wrote:

>> Can Amanda be used to backup an NFS mounted filesystem ?  I have a
>> Network Appliance
>> box and have mounted the exported filesystem to a mount point on the
>> Amanda server
>> The Sun is running Solaris 7.
>
>Yes, it's working fine here.  You just have to use tar.  Obviously you
>can't use dump, because you don't have access to the raw disk (and even if
>you did, Solaris wouldn't have any idea what to do with it).
>
>Another hint: If you have snapshots enabled, you will probably want to
>exclude them (amanda documentation explains how to exclude directories).

Be aware that running backups over NFS can really saturate an ethernet
and noticibly degrade performance.  It's also prone to problems should
the backup machine lose its mount during the backup run.  I've seen
admins resort to rebooting their backup box because the NFS-mounted
partition went south and the backup process hung.  At my previous job
the net-nazies decided they didn't like the backup traffic and
unilaterally, without consulting the users or admins involved,
firewalled NFS traffic.  They wouldn't even allow us to route from our A
subnet to our B subnet.

Dump programs don't generally read NFS partitions, since NFS <> UFS or
ext2 or whatever your physical filesystem really is, so yeah, you're
restricted to using tar to do it.  You may also have to play games with
your fstab to give the backup machine root write rights on the NFS mount
so that incrementals can function.

--
Joi Ellis
[EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.visi.com/~gyles19/