On Tue, Nov 21, 2000 at 01:41:05PM -0500, John R. Jackson wrote:

> >-rwsr-x---    1 root     backup      78558 Nov  3 13:21 killpgrp*
>
> Ummm, your xinetd line says to run things as group "disk", and user
> "backup".  That combination does not have access to execute killpgrp.
>
> I assume you said --with-group=backup since it got installed this way?
> Why not put that in xinetd.conf and then add "disk" as an alternate
> group for user "backup"?

I've changed the group for that binary to be root.disk. I prefer to keep
disk as the group for my block devices.  I've messed with the ownership
in that directory while trying to debug the problem.

> >Permissions look ok:
> >brw-r-----    1 root     disk       3,   6 Sep 27 06:31 hda6
>
> Yup, they do.  What happens if you run this by hand as user "backup":
>
>   /sbin/dump 0Ssf 1048576 - /dev/hda6 > /dev/null

No output, no errors.

I'm going to see if I get an error from killpgrp tonight, if I do then I
think I'm going to reinstall amanda from my source and use --with-group=disk

--

Joshua Warchol
UNIX Systems Administrator