I started a backup last night, manually running 'amdump DailySet1'. Now this
morning, amstatus reports that it is all done, except for one thing (the other
lines say "finished"):

navajo.hq.consys.com://vekol/data        0 2715147k dumping to tape

The tape drive doesn't seem to be doing anything, usually the little green light
flashes when it's active. Right now it's just sitting there. The holding disk
just has an empty subdirectory in it. It seems to be stuck somehow. The hard
disk that //vekol/data is on isn't even being accessed, it's quiet (makes lots
of noise when it's being backed up).

Why is this one trying to dump directly to tape, instead of to the holding disk
first?
Why would it stall out like it seems to have done?
If it is actually stuck, I suppose I can kill the amdump process with a ctrl-C
command, but then a flush wouldn't do anything, because this data isn't on the
holding disk, right? I would have to do an amcleanup. And I wouldn't get the
emailed report, either, would I?
Is there any way of gracefully regaining control without just killing amdump?

Following is information for you experts out there who might have ideas. Thanks
in advance for any and all advice!

--- Eric Wadsworth
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

My holding disk has sixty gigabytes of available space (that's not a typo).
The tape can hold 20 gigs (40 compressed).

Information on this particular samba share:
This happens to be a directory on my own NT workstation. The 'data' samba share
is 7.2 Gigs in size, but some portions of this share have their permissions set
such that the backup operators cannot read them (security policy requires that a
particular project not be included in the backup) leaving about 5 gigs of data
to back up. I'm using compression, so the 2.7 gig number makes sense. Several
other NT boxes have similiar exclusions, and they backed up fine.

Here's the summary from amstatus. (Ignore the 2 failed entries, the user of that
NT box did a "shutdown" instead of logging out. Silly users.)

SUMMARY          part     real estimated
                          size      size
partition       :  39
estimated       :  37           14376628k
failed          :   2                  0k
wait for dumping:   0                  0k
dumping to tape :   1            2715147k
dumping         :   0        0k        0k
dumped          :  36 12531488k 11661481k
wait for writing:   0        0k        0k
writing to tape :   0        0k        0k
failed to tape  :   0        0k        0k
taped           :  36 12531488k 11661481k
3 dumpers idle  : not-idle
taper writing, tapeq: 0
network free kps: 1970
holding space   : 53545924

Here's the pertinent line from disklist:
navajo.hq.consys.com //vekol/deneb css-nt-workstations

Here's some lines from amanda.conf:
define dumptype css-global {
    comment "CSS Global definitions"
    index yes
    program "GNUTAR"
}

define dumptype css-nt-workstations {
    css-global
    comment "User's Windows NT workstations"
    priority medium
    compress client best
}