Thanks to everybody who replied to my E-mail .... unfortunately all the
advices had no effect .. I keep on getting the same error.
To make things a little bit clearer I installed amanda using the rpms
given with Linux RedHat7.0 for i386. I think that the rpms are compiled
with the option  --with-amandahosts on. In any case they create a file
/root/.amandahosts upon installing.

These rpms automatically create a user named "operator". The entry in
/etc/passwd is :

operator:x:11:0:operator:/root:/bin/bash

In /etc/amanda/DailySet1/amand.conf I added the following line :

dumpuser "operator"     # the user to run dumps under

The file /root/.amandahosts is :

raffaello.bu.edu operator

... and if I run, as user "operator" (from the root account I run "su -
operator"), the command "amcheck -c DailySet1" I get the following
REALLY annoying message :

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
ERROR: raffaello: [access as operator not allowed from
[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Client check: 1 host checked in 0.062 seconds, 1 problem found.

(brought to you by Amanda 2.4.1p1)

Obviously raffaello.bu.edu is the host Amanda runs on!!!
Thanks in advance for any help!!
                                Bye, Antonino Casile