I had the same problem with a RedHat client. Here are my pertinent log
files. Note that 'navajo' is my tape host, and 'dragoon' is my linux box.

===============================
Now I need to get the newly installed client to work.
It looks like the rpm put a line into /etc/inetd.conf and put the programs
files into /usr/lib/amanda
running amcheck from navajo resulted in:
ERROR: dragoon.hq.consys.com: [access as operator not allowed from
[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Looks like I need to modify .amandahosts ...
Adjusted ownershop of /root/.amandahosts to operator:root
amcheck still gives this error for dragoon.
Adjusted capitalization in the file to navajo.hq.ConSys.COM ---> Still not
working.
Checked FAQ ---> Edited dragoon's inetd.conf and fixed "operator.disk" to
"operator".
Drat... still didn't fix it.
Changed ownership of /usr/lib/amanda and everything in it to operator:root
(was root:root). The file runtar was root:d
isk, changed it to operator:disk.
amcheck still fails on dragoon.
I noticed that there are some other files in /usr/lib that are root access
only... maybe I should use the rpm to chang
e ownership.
Hmmm, doesn't seem to be a way to do it via rpm.
Check permissions of navajo /usr/local/libexec/amanda and set the ones on
dragoon similiarly.
Added an operator group to dragoon
Still not working.
Modified permissions to /root/.amandahosts and modified the group entry
for the operator group.
Still failing.
Moved the .amandahosts file to / just to see.
Progress! Now I get different error:

Hope this helps. :) I'm just glad I keep good logs of what I do.

--- Eric Wadsworth