Hi all,
after some problems .. finally I managed to install and make run Amanda
using the rpms given with RedHat7.0
As you saw reading teh posts in this mailing list I had several
problems. Most of them were caused by my poor experience with backup
tools, but a couple of them were caused by the RedHat distribution. What
follows is a short review of the problems that I found ... I hope that
it can be helpful to some reader of this mailing list.
I installed the following 3 rpm files :
amanda-2.4.1p1-18.i386.rpm
amanda-client-2.4.1p1-18.i386.rpm
amanda-server-2.4.1p1-18.i386.rpm

using the command "rpm -i amanda...."

The problems were :
1) the rpm files don't create a file amandad in /etc/xinetd.d, so you
have to create one :

#xinetd.d file = amandad#
# default: off
#

service amanda
{
        socket_type             = dgram
        protocol                = udp
        wait                    = yes
        user                    = operator
        group                   = disk
        server                  = /usr/lib/amanda/amandad
        disable                 = no
}

after this you have to create an entry in hosts.allows as well ... I
added the following line on the server PC:

ALL: localhost 127.0.0.1 128.197.61.90

2) All the files are installed using the user "operator" ... the problem
is that his home directory is /root ... I strongly advice to create a
separate home directory for the user "operator", change the /etc/passwd
accordingly and move the file /root/.amandahosts to the newly created
directory, changing the permissions accrodingly.

3) Some of the files and directories needed by amanda are not created
upon installation of the rpm files and have to be created (you can
easily trace which file/directory is missing reading the output of
amcheck!!).

4) I used the following amandaidx amidxtape files :
#xinetd.d file = amandaidx#
# default: off
#

service amandaidx
{
        socket_type             = stream
        protocol                = tcp
        wait                    = yes
        user                    = operator
        group                   = disk
        server                  = /usr/lib/amanda/amindexd
        disable                 = no
}

#xinetd.d file = amidxtape#
# default: off
#
#

service amidxtape
{
        socket_type             = stream
        protocol                = tcp
        wait                    = no
        user                    = operator
        group                   = disk
        server                  = /usr/lib/amanda/amidxtaped
        disable                 = no
}

I hope that this will help!!!
                                Bye, Antonino Casile