Olaf Seidel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> sorry, if this is a little bit off-topic. I'd like to know a good strategy
> to restore from an amanda backup to an empty harddisk.

I don't think you are off-topic. It _has_ to do with AMANDA. And, as the
saying goes, nobody cares if you can backup, only if you can restore ;-)

> Will the
> following strategy work?
>
> 1. Boot from rescue disk

How about a rescue CD? You boot a 16 Meg RAM disk from CD in your
memory. The RAM image contains AMANDA already installed. You could boot
from floppy first, then tell linuxrc to load the image on the CD in the
memory and boot it. Then you continue to step 2...

> 2. Make partitions with fdisk (Do the partitions have to have the
> same size like they had before (on the crashed disk) or is it only
> important, that the data from the backup tape fit onto the new disk?)

It is only important, that the data fits on your partitions.

> 3. mkfs

OK

> 4. Install Amanda

You can save yourself this trouble with the above CD. I am saying
"trouble" because you will have to install the OS first, then install
AMANDA on top of it, and this (usually) under the stress of having a
crashed system around you that should be up and running ASAP.

I haven't tested it to the end, but I think with the CD method (assuming
lots of main memory), bare metal recovery can be fun. If you are
interested in the details, I have a script with a lot of comments, which
could serve as a starting basis for you (it is not finished yet).

> 5. amrestore

Generally speaking, yes, it should work. But you will have to try it to
be sure you did not forget any detail.

--
Regards

Chris Karakas