Hello all ,

I have been trying to get amanda to work for the last week , to no
avail. I am sure it is something simple.

I worked out all of the installation and configuration issues , however
here is the problem.

I am backing up from a centralized backup server , all of the clients
"sync" content to the server , and the backups are performed from a dump
directory on the server. I am using a sparc-5 with a raid 5 array. The
total size of the backup is around 30 gb , which theoretically should
fit on our 20/40 DLT tapes, but solaris doesn't do well honoring
compressed capacity.

The problem is  this. Every time I try and run amanda , I get an error
that the dump cannot fit on a single tape , so it errors out. It also
complains about not being able to switch to an incrementatl dump - is
that from /etc/dumpdates ? (Until now , I have used 'star' to backup).

Do I need to define the changer as a manual one ??? If so , is there
documentation to show me how ? I tried changing tapes per run to 2 , but
the documentation says that if you do not define a changer , then tapes
per run should be set to 1.

Thank you in advance for your help,

Daren L. Eason, Sr.
Systems Administrator III