> > You may want to try tar 1.13.19, that uses a hashtable instead of
> > linear searches in file lists (compliments to Jean-Louis Martineau).
>
> Where can I get tar 1.13.19 ?
> The latest I can find on pub.gnu.org is 1.13.

you need to look in ftp://alpha.gnu.org/pub/gnu/tar

That's where the latest tarbal is.  I ran my backup a little while ago
and it only took one hour and twenty minutes to get the estimate.  :)

And the strace really helped.  I thought the gtar was dead but when I
ran strace on the pid, it told me that it's still doing lstat's on the
files so I left it alone.

later,
ajay

Satyajot (Ajay) Sharma
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Digital Odyssey System Administrator
"You will find true love, or a missing sock" -- Bazooka Joe