* Alexandre Oliva <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (Mon, Jan 29, 2001 at 11:07:59AM -0200)

>> Ehm,
>> docs INSTALL sais, use 1.12 w/ patches.
>> I assumed (incorrectly) that 1.13 would work as well.

> It's fixed in 2.4.2p1.

So I noticed ;)

>>> Yep, but there's a (rare?) bug in 1.13.17 that may cause it to crash.
>> I just tested it
>> ()I know, why ask, if you can test it yourself)
>> and 1.13.17 works fine (the one that comes with Suse 7.0)

> Which doesn't mean it wouldn't crash for you at certain obscure
> conditions.  Jean-Louis Martineau posted a message about the problem
> (with patch) it a while ago.  His patch made it to 1.13.19.  As well
> as his improvements for GNU tar to use hash tables instead of linear
> searches for filenames, which should make it significantly faster.

OK, I will install 1.13.19 on the linux boxen as well.
However, it doesn;t give me a huge performance boost ..
it still takes well over 3 hours to get an estimate ;)

        Gerhard,  <@jasongeo.com>   == The Acoustic Motorbiker ==
--
   __O  Some say the end is near.
 =`\<,  Some say we'll see armageddon soon