* The Hermit Hacker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 10:26:09PM -0400)

> If i have a file system that is, when compressed, larger then my tape
> size, what happens?  from what I read, it can't span a file system across
> two tapes, but I might be mis-remembering what I read ...

If you're lucky, (and your holdingdisk is big enough) amanda will dump to
the holding disk instead.
Then dump from holding disk to new tape.

(which will only work if you have a tape somewhere that's big enough.

Otherwise, use gnutar (and a modified sendsize [1] ) to back up the big disk
in smaller blocks.

(iso
/bigdisk        comp-user
specify
/bigdisk/dir1   comp-user-tar
/bigdisk/dir2   comp-user-tar
/bigdisk/dir3   comp-user-tar
/bigdisk/dir4   comp-user-tar
/bigdisk/dirN   comp-user-tar

in your disklist.

[1] gnutar takes forever to estimate , I hacked sendsize to use the
calcsize executable (the patch can be found on the egroups searchable
archive)

        Gerhard,  <@jasongeo.com>   == The Acoustic Motorbiker ==
--
   __O  Some say the end is near.
 =`\<,  Some say we'll see armageddon soon