I should preface what I'm about to say with: I searched through a decent
amount of the archive before giving up.  I ran amcheck with the following
results:

Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
/opt/tmp: 34743152 KB disk space available, that's plenty.
ERROR: /dev/sg4: Permission denied
       (expecting a new tape)
NOTE: skipping tape-writable test.
Index dir "/opt/amanda/DailySet1/index" doesn't exist or is not writable.
Server check took 0.002 seconds.

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
Client check: 1 host checked in 0.061 seconds, 0 problems found.

(brought to you by Amanda 2.4.1p1)

The amanda.conf file that *I BELIEVE* is being used has the following
attributes set:

runtapes 1              # number of tapes to be used in a single run of
amdump
#tpchanger "chg-zd-mtx" # the tape-changer glue script
tapedev "/dev/sg4"      # the no-rewind tape device to be used
#rawtapedev "/dev/sg5   # the raw device to be used (ftape only)
#changerfile "/var/lib/amanda/DailySet1/changer"
#changerfile "/var/lib/amanda/DailySet1/changer-status"
#changerfile "/etc/amanda/changer.conf"
changerdev "/dev/sg3"

tapetype DLT            # what kind of tape it is (see tapetypes below)
labelstr "^DailySet1[0-9][0-9]*$"       # label constraint regex: all
tapes must match

holdingdisk hd1 {
    comment "main holding disk"
    directory "/opt/tmp"        # where the holding disk is
    use 12000 Mb                # how much space can we use on it
                        # a negative value mean:
                        #        use all space except that value
    chunksize -1        # size of chunk if you want big dump to be
                        # dumped on multiple files on holding disks
                        #  N Kb/Mb/Gb split disks in chunks of size N
                        #  0          split disks in INT_MAX/1024 Kb
chunks
                        # -1          same as -INT_MAX/1024 (see below)
                        # -N Kb/Mb/Gb dont split, dump larger
                        #             filesystems directly to tape
                        #             (example: -2 Gb)
    # chunksize 2 Gb
    }

infofile "/opt/amanda/DailySet1/curinfo"        # database filename
logdir   "/opt/amanda/DailySet1"                # log directory
indexdir "/opt/amanda/DailySet1/index"  # index directory

I guess I'm having trouble understanding the following:
I'm using an ATL 7100 series tape backup system with a robotic
arm and two tape drives on scsi id 1, where the robotic arm I can
control via mtx (mtx -f /dev/sg3 etc etc etc)

and the tape drives are /dev/sg4 and sg5...

I initially tried to use the tpchanger "chg-zd-mtx" but would get the
following results from amcheck DailySet1
(obviously the line tpchanger, see above, would be uncommented when I
tried this)

[operator@lycan:/etc/amanda/DailySet1]# amcheck DailySet1
Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
/opt/tmp: 34743152 KB disk space available, that's plenty.
amcheck-server: could not get changer
info: /usr/adm/amanda/changer-status-clean: No such file or directory

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
Client check: 1 host checked in 0.036 seconds, 0 problems found.

(brought to you by Amanda 2.4.1p1)

No where in my amanda.conf file do I have a reference to /usr/adm/amanda,
nor do I have any directory in /usr named   adm (which means no sub-dir
amanda).   I also can't locate any files named changer.conf ANYWHERE on
the system.  Amanda was pre-installed by VALinux, and I've already
(again, *I THINK*) changed all the necessary .conf files that I can
find... or am aware of.   I'm also not sure if I've changed the correct
amanda.conf file, as I've located three amanda.conf files, one in
/etc/amanda/DailySet1/amanda.conf, one in /etc/amanda/amanda.conf, and one
in /usr/doc/amanda-2.4.1p1/examples/amanda.conf
 I'm assuming the third is ONLY an example, and I've made both the first
two amanda.conf files appear exactly the same.  Still no luck...

Where I'm stuck is that even if I comment out the chg-zd-mtx script, and
manually load each tape, I still get the results (first amcheck listed,
see above) that indicate that there is no new tape -- even though I can
physically see the tape in the tape drive.

There is also no file in /var/lib/amanda/DailySet1 called changer or
changer-status.  I've read the doc files, and they reference the
changer.conf file, but I don't see one, and can't find one anywhere.
The changer.conf file, is that supposed to be created by mtx?

I'm not sure I've covered everything, but I did try and put down as MUCH
detail as possible concerning this problem.

Please help!

Joe