On Fri, 9 Feb 2001 at 10:36pm, Mitch Collinsworth wrote

> mt status says the same thing no matter what I do with mt comp,
> mt compression, mt setdensity, etc.  And now I've tried with
> mt 0.6, too.  Strange.

That's right, there's no indication in the 'mt stat' line whether hardware
compression is on or off.  But it seems to me that, with my AIT-1 drive,
'mt compression {0|1}' is the way to go.  You can test it by writing
similar data to the tape in both compressed and uncompressed modes -- the
throughput should be significantly higher in compressed mode.  Paul
Bijnens sent a Perl script to do just this to the list last week.  Check
the archives under AIT-1 and tapetype.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering