* Chris Marble <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 09:51:32PM -0800)
> Gerhard den Hollander wrote:

>> Since it's a linux box , you may want to look into using reiserFS.
>> I found that file access with Reiser is faster than ext2 (although nothing
>> shocking) esp. when going through a lot of smaller files in one swoop.

> I formatted up the holding disk with a large blocksize and small inode
> count.  It's never going to have over 100 files on it so I doubt
> ReiserFS is worth the hassle.

I guess not,
Reiser comes prepackaged with Suse, so in my case it wasn't a hassle
at all .

But my suggestion was making the disk to be backed up use reiser iso the
holding disk.

> I do all my backups with dump, ufsdump
> or xfsdump now.  I'd just as soon avoid adding in gnu tar too.

Well, amanda handles it all transparently for you. Except that getting
estimates with gnutar takes forever and then some.

        Gerhard,  <@jasongeo.com>   == The Acoustic Motorbiker ==
--
   __O  You are a fluke of the universe ...
 =`\<,  You have no right to be here.