"Carey Jung" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > > when I do amcheck and no error are reported, can I trust it 100 %
> > > that the backup will work?
> >
> > Well, there's always Murphy's law :-)
> >

> amcheck doesn't, by default, try to write to the tape.  It just reads the
> label.  If, for example, the write-protect tab is set on today's tape,
> amcheck will succeed, but the backup will fail.  (Actually, if you've got
> sufficient holding disk space, only the flush will fail.)

Not exactly. Amanda might (/will?) go to degraded mode and do only
backup levels >0, if you use the standard configuration without
changing the "reserve" parameters. The word "flush" is a bit
misleading in this case.

A (neglected) reason to have more tapes than used in one dump cycle is
being able to use "amcheck -w". The write test is destructive.

>From the amcheck man page:

"
   -w     Enables a destructive check for write-protection on
              the tape (which would otherwise  cause  the  subse­
              quent  amdump  to  fail).  If the tape is writable,
              this check causes all data after the tape label  to
              be  erased  (actually depends on the device driver:
              there is no portable non-destructive way  to  check
              for write-protection).  The check implies -t and is
              only made if the tape is otherwise correct.
"

Why doesn't Amanda use the following portable, non-destructive write test:

read label; amlabel -f config label

Does it mess up the indexes?

Johannes Niess