If "mt" says there is no tape, there isn't any tape.
Amanda has nothing to do with it.

-- Or the tape drive isn't connected to the SCSI bus.

-- Or the power cable isn't plugged in.

-- Or the media is defective.

-- Or the drive needs cleaning.

-- Or the tape drive is buggy.

I see that the drive is an OnStream.  Haven't there been
significant problems reported on this list, with those?

For remote backups I prefer to keep a local mirror, using
ssh and rsync, and back up from that.  When tape drive
problems develop, and they usually do sooner or later,
I'm not depending on all too often ill-trained and overworked
ISP sysadmins to do my troubleshooting for me.

Instead, I do the troubleshooting with my own ill-trained
and overworked self (chortle) !!!

Another option might be changing colocation providers.

On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 06:15:58PM +0300, Radu Filip wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Basically, it's about amanda tells me there is no tape but guys from
> company that collocation server told me there is a tape loaded. They check
> twice. Also, I'm 100% it's not a joke or something like this, but a serios
> situation I don't know how to manage.
>
> [root@server /root]# date
> Tue Mar 27 10:00:55 EST 2001
> [root@server /root]# su amanda -c "amcheck wmw"
> Amanda Tape Server Host Check
> -----------------------------
> Holding disk /tmp: 366404 KB disk space available, using 212804 KB
> ERROR: /dev/nst0: rewinding tape: No medium found
>        (expecting tape my_tape_1 or a new tape)
> NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
> Server check took 30.107 seconds
>
> Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
> --------------------------------
> Client check: 1 host checked in 0.017 seconds, 0 problems found
>
> (brought to you by Amanda 2.4.2p1)
>

> But from the company that collocate the server I got right now the
> following message:
>
> Date: 27 Mar 2001 09:59:52 -0500
> From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Radu Filip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: Tape
>
> Hi Radu
>
> We have checked the server.mydomain.com and it has the tape #1 tape in the
> drive.
>
> Best regards
> [signature]
>

> I'm located in Romania and server is in State. I've tried to use mt:
> [root@server /root]# mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
> /dev/nst0: No medium found
>
> Last backup was performed succesfully on March 24 and until now there was
> absolutly no problem with both Amanda and tape.
>
> Tape drive is (from dmesg):
> Detected scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
>   Vendor: OnStream  Model: ADR50 Drive       Rev: 2.20
>   Type:   Sequential-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>
> Also, I checked the /var/messages and I got only this lines:
> [root@server /root]# less /var/log/messages.1.gz | grep st0
> Mar 20 05:44:29 server2 kernel: st0: Error with sense data: [valid=0] Info
> fld=0x0, Current st09:00: sense key Unit Attention
> Mar 20 06:09:59 server2 kernel: st0: Error with sense data: [valid=0] Info
> fld=0x0, Current st09:00: sense key Unit Attention
>
> but this was *before* my last succesfully backup (March 24):
>
> Subject: MY AMANDA MAIL REPORT FOR March 24, 2001
> These dumps were to tape my_tape_3.
> The next tape Amanda expects to use is: my_tape_1.
>
> My server is an dual Intel PIII/800 Mhz, with RedHat 6.2 and Kernel
> 2.2.14-5.0smp. Module for st is loaded:
>
> [root@server /root]# lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by
> eepro100               16080   1  (autoclean)
> st                     24656   0
> dpt_i2o                97248   5
>

> Please tell what could happen here on my server, what to try and what can
> I do in this strange situation.
>
> Thank you in advance,
>   Radu Filip

> [...]

 Dan Wilder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>     Technical Manager & Correspondent
 SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549     Phone:  206-782-7733 x123
 Seattle, WA  98155-0549      URL    http://www.linuxjournal.com/