My amanda backup server runs Debian GNU/linux. I've had it running
kernel version 2.2.16 for months and it has been working great,
backing up a small network of ten machines. Kudos to the Amanda team.

I recently compiled a 2.4.2 kernel for the backup server. If I boot
this kernel, then one of my clients (coredump) fails consistently to
backup. The amanda mail report says "FAILED [nak error:amandad
busy]". All partitions on coredump fail with this error. Further
investigation shows that the backups for coredump fail in the
estimation phase. Coredump is also a debian system, kernel
2.4.3-pre8. If I revert to kernel version 2.2.16 on the amanda server,
then coredump backs up with no errors. Obviously I'm staying with
linux kernel 2.2.16 on the server for now.

I can provide more detailed information if anyone is interested.

-John

--
John Palkovic
Software Engineer