On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Dave Hecht wrote:

> I have just a couple M$oft Win2K boxes that I would like my newly installed
> Amanda system to backup.  I do have NFS servers running on them and
> presently mount the data directory's, via NFS, onto a Linux box.  Keeping in
> mind that I have < 50 GB of data (very little) , and have a 12 hour window
> for backups (yes, small network in an office) and I really am not worried
> about preserving ACL's - My question is:
>
> Which is easiest to maintain/setup - NFS mount the Win2k volumes onto the
> Linux box and use a gnu-tar-index backup, or install samba and use
> smbclient.  I lean towards NFS, is there any reason I should not?

I would prefer NFS mounted volumes for the following reasons:

smbtar currently only supports doing incremental dumps via
a single archive bit, i.e. you only get level 0 and level 1 dumps.
If you have a dumpcycle of say two weeks the level 1 dump just before the
a level 0 dump will collect all changes of the last two weeks, which
can be quite a lot. However this depends on how often you data changes.
With NFS there is no such issue.

Hope this helps,

Martin
Martin Apel, Dipl.-Inform.                            t e c m a t h  A G
Group Manager Software Development              Human Solutions Division
phone +49 (0)6301 606-300            Sauerwiesen 2, 67661 Kaiserslautern
fax   +49 (0)6301 606-309                                        Germany
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                               http://www.tecmath.com