Dear Sirs.

I run into problems with AMANDA backing up a large disk array (250 GB).
I use 'gnutar' as dumping tool defined by GTAR within amanda in the hope
that AMANDA is capable to spread a big backup image over several tapes
like TAR does this when used without AMANDA (multi volume facility).

I asked about AMANDA's capabilty of backing up large arrays before and I
was told to split the big array into smaller pieces. It seems to me, by
the way, that AMANDA is only capable of backing up arrays or drive areas
they are about the size of one tape. We use a tape changer with 6 slots
of DDS-4 cardridges. But the suggestion splitting up the big array into
pieces is impossible! The only way I could do is to order users in
alphabetical order and save them splitted (the big array is the HOMES
partition of our institute). But several users have enormous data fluctuations,
today I run into problems with the daily backup due the fact one of the
users load scientific data of about 30 GB - that is to much for one tape
and since 8 hours amanda is trying to back up this area trying each tape,
filling it up to its limits, then makes an error and take the next tape -
a silly behaviour.

Well, I would like to ask for some hints or simply a fact-statement:
Is AMANDA capable of spreading a large volume over several tapes with gtar
like gtar does this using the multivolume mechanism? How to configure
this ability if possible? Please be aware of the following fact:
I definitely can not split this array into smaller pieces because
it is not possible to split them due the high data fluctuation.

Thank you in adavnce,
Oliver

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
IT-Administration des Institut fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinensaal)