* Jamie Bowden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (Sat, Apr 28, 2001 at 12:20:58PM -0700)
> On Sat, 28 Apr 2001, Gerhard den Hollander wrote:

> :* Daniel David Benson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (Fri, Apr 27, 2001 at 06:27:11PM -0700)
> :
> :> Why not?  Have you seen/had problems with recent versions of gnu tar, or
> :> Sun's bundled tar?  I have seen problems with versions of tars
> :
> :Unless gnutar is the latest (1.13.19 I think.
> :Chances ae it will screw you over backward (that is SEGV) whern you really
> :need it to read stuff back from tape.

> Any version of tar works above the filesystem level, which is slow and
> problematic in it's own ways many others here have already brought up.

True.
OTOH tar allows you to back up a 450G partition on 150G capcity tapes w/
amamnda, by splitting it into a (large) number of subslices

> There's also another issue I'll bring up in response to your next comment.
> :Sun tar has other porblems (try using suntar on the latest qt snapshot).

As others pointed out this is a combo of gnutar vs sun tar.

> I thankfully don't deal with Solaris anymore.  Irix's xfsdump is fast, if
> a little odd for those not used to it.

That's putting it politely ;) ..

It took some time for Amanda to correctly work with xfsdump/xfsrestore.

And before amanda I had xfsdump SEGV on me when called from a shell script
forked from cron (and oddly enough worked fine when started from the
command line).

I won;t go into a Solaris vs Irix (or Solaris vs SGI) here. Im using both,
they both have their strengths, and they both have their weaknesses
(Solaris OpenGL excels in hardlocking my machines to name just one) ,
but fortunately they all dump/tar happily ever after .

Kind regards,
 --
Gerhard den Hollander                           Phone +31-10.280.1515
Technical Support Jason Geosystems BV           Fax   +31-10.280.1511

      This e-mail and any attachment is/are intended solely for the named
  addressee(s) and may contain information that is confidential and privileged.
       If you are not the intended recipient, we request that you do not
         disseminate, forward, distribute or copy this e-mail message.
      If you have received this e-mail message in error, please notify us
           immediately by telephone and destroy the original message.