On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 09:53:59PM -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
<clip>
> I can also tell from personal experience that I haven't had trouble
> with GNU tar 1.13.17 on GNU/Linux/x86, but I still haven't been able
> to do backups reliably with 1.13.19 (it will generally abort part-way
> through the back-up; I suspect a network problem, but a bug in GNU tar
> still isn't ruled out)

My systems (Debian potato):

media:~$ tar --version
tar (GNU tar) 1.13.17

media:~$ gcc --version
2.95.2

No problems here, except that the kernel isn't best friends with my
ATA tape drive sometimes.  The joys of an academic budget! :)

I've never tried amanda on anything but Linux, so I can't speak about
that.  sunfreeware.com might have a good version of gcc.

--
--Ray

Sotto la panca la capra crepa
sopra la panca la capra campa