Do you have any entries in your .amandahosts file for your hostname?  I had
a similar problem, so I then added an entry for my hostname, something
like:
     hostname amanda
Dan

"Bryan S. Sampsel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>@amanda.org on 06/13/2001 09:34:31
AM

Sent by:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To:   "'Bort, Paul'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
cc:
Subject:  RE: Try2, Amanda Question

That's the bitch of it...it IS resolved: via nslookup, via ping--ANYTHING
but Amanda.

It's bizarre.  I'm getting ready to compile amanda from source to see if
it's a problem with the rpm on the client.  Rpm installs are OK
sometimes--other times, I'd rather not deal with 'em.

anyone else wanna take a stab at this?

thanks anyways,

bryan

Bryan S. Sampsel