Hi, I'm trying to do what Mark Chang started a thread concerning March
6th: back up a laptop that's only available during the day with a host of
computers that are preferentially backed up at night.  Jan Edler jumped
in on the topic, too.  Seems to be somewhat a problem and one that
isn't easily addressed with Amanda (but don't get me wrong, Amanda is
great in many other ways !! :)

I came to Jan's second idea on my own, start amanda during the day
when the laptop is online, get it backed up, and delay all other
computers 'til late night.  Jan wanted to use 3a.m. and ran into
problems explained in her posted message.  My original idea and
one that seems should work is to delay all other backups
until 11p.m. (or so) (which should also avoid this problem).

Seems like a good idea but a current job running on this premise is
strangely doing nothing as I type.  Estimates have all arrived but
every disk, including the laptop's disks which have no delay specified,
have status "wait for dumping".  I should probably kill the job as it
has been in this state for over a half hour but I'm almost too curious
to see what will happen if I leave it to run overnight.

Any idea what may be happening and what may be wrong.  Possibly as
a problem that Urban Petry ran into, the laptop disks may be
scheduled to run after one (or more) of the delayed disks?

I had this computer in it's own config previously and also ran
into continuous yet transient (and also never explained) problems so
the whole delay thing may not be related.

--
Paul Yeatman       (858) 534-9896        [EMAIL PROTECTED]