Also Sprach Jan Boshoff:

> Hi everyone
>
> I've been using Amanda now for about 2 months to back up 5 Unix machines
> with great success.  It's a wonderful tool that makes life soooo much
> easier for a time-strapped grad student.
>
> I'm running Amanda 2.4.1p1 on Irix 6.5.11.  Over the last week or so,
> amdump has not been able to get a result for the size estimate of one of
> the filesystems on the amanda server.  Amcheck finds no host errors,
> however, the amdump report goes:
>
> FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
>   columbus /dev/dsk/dks1d3s7 lev 0 FAILED [missing result for
> /dev/dsk/dks1d3s7 in columbus.che.udel.edu response]
>
> If I look into amdump.1, I see for columbus:
>
> SETTING UP FOR ESTIMATES...
> setup_estimate: columbus:/dev/dsk/dks1d3s7: command 0, options:
>     last_level 0 next_level0 0 level_days 0
>     getting estimates 0 (15426316) 1 (120595) -1 (-1)
>
> GETTING ESTIMATES...
> error result for host columbus disk /dev/dsk/dks1d3s7: missing estimate
>
> I've checked all permissions, specifically, /dev/dsk/dks1d3s7, not
> amanda is in group sys,
>
> brw-r-----    1 root     sys         0,195 Jul 20 10:44
> /dev/dsk/dks1d3s7
>
> Also, /dev/rdsk/dks1d3s7
>
> crw-r-----    1 root     sys         0,196 Jul 20 10:45
> /dev/rdsk/dks1d3s7
>
> What will cause a failure in estimating the filesystem size?
>

> Thanks for the help!
> Jan

I don't know if this is the cause, but since you're running 6.5.11
there is a bug you should be aware of:

----
Bug 816555 "xfsdump piped to xfsrestore fails for
quota filesystems". This only happens on filesystems with
quota enabled.  It is solved in IRIX 6.5.12.
----

xfsdump/xfsrestore will work OK with mt/rmt but if you
pipe directly to a remote tape or holding disk which is
what Amanda does, amrestore piped into xfsrestore will
fail with file offset errors. You can patch to 6.5.12 to
fix the problem, or use a hex editor to edit out the quota
portion of the xfsdump file header which will lose the
quota info but allow you to restore.

--
C. Chan < [EMAIL PROTECTED] >
Finger [EMAIL PROTECTED] for PGP public key.