Hi everyone

I've been using Amanda now for about 2 months to back up 5 Unix machines
with great success.  It's a wonderful tool that makes life soooo much
easier for a time-strapped grad student.

I'm running Amanda 2.4.1p1 on Irix 6.5.11.  Over the last week or so,
amdump has not been able to get a result for the size estimate of one of
the filesystems on the amanda server.  Amcheck finds no host errors,
however, the amdump report goes:

FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
  columbus /dev/dsk/dks1d3s7 lev 0 FAILED [missing result for
/dev/dsk/dks1d3s7 in columbus.che.udel.edu response]

If I look into amdump.1, I see for columbus:

SETTING UP FOR ESTIMATES...
setup_estimate: columbus:/dev/dsk/dks1d3s7: command 0, options:
    last_level 0 next_level0 0 level_days 0
    getting estimates 0 (15426316) 1 (120595) -1 (-1)

GETTING ESTIMATES...
error result for host columbus disk /dev/dsk/dks1d3s7: missing estimate

I've checked all permissions, specifically, /dev/dsk/dks1d3s7, not
amanda is in group sys,

brw-r-----    1 root     sys         0,195 Jul 20 10:44
/dev/dsk/dks1d3s7

Also, /dev/rdsk/dks1d3s7

crw-r-----    1 root     sys         0,196 Jul 20 10:45
/dev/rdsk/dks1d3s7

What will cause a failure in estimating the filesystem size?

Thanks for the help!
Jan

  Jan Boshoff
  PhD Student, Chemical Engineering