Hello amanda users,

We have been supporting our DLT8000 by treating it as a DLT7000
under IRIX 6.5.(3-7)m and modifying the scsi device tables.

We recently upgraded to 6.5.12m which "supports" DLT8000 via
the new "ts" class device driver.

Unfortunately we are unable to label the tape # amlabel -f
at any either 35gig or 40 gig density. We tried 35 because
running as a DLT7000 that is what we had available and tried
40 gig because, well, we got the DLT8000 for its capacity.

I do not know the mechanism for "labeling" but wanted to
describe the process for SGI. I know that reading/writing
the dumps themselves is a "# dd" operation. Right ??

We continue to be read/write tapes that where labled previously
in 35 gig mode.

We tried to apply a patch to IRIX for bugs in the new driver
but find that they can not be applied to the IP22 class processor,
ie INDY class machines.

We are a little frustrated and thought we'd go to the lists for
its collective wisdom.

Has anyone else seen this or been able to work around it ?

Current solutions may include OS patch, system upgrade, ethernet
card upgrade (10BaseT overloaded by current backups, Phobos card
for $ 575 for 100BaseT), turn off TS driver and again patch scsi
controller tables.

Or any solutions that have been found to be workable by you'all.

                                                TIA,

                                                Brian

---
   Brian R Cuttler                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]