On October 1 2001, Jason Joines wrote:

>     My amindexed debug file gives this information:
> "more amindexd.20010927121349.debug
> amindexd: debug 1 pid 15662 ruid 37 euid 37 start time Thu Sep 27
> 12:13:49 2001
> amindexd: version 2.4.2p2
> could not open conf file "/usr/local/etc/amanda/amidxtape/amanda.conf":
> No such file or directory
> amindexd: pid 15662 finish time Thu Sep 27 12:13:49 2001"

Aha!

I'll bet this is a problem with your inetd.conf file on the Amanda server.
If there are "too many" arguments on the amandaidx line, some may be passed
to amindexd as arguments, which it will interpret as config names, etc.

I was able to reproduce what you saw by changing my inetd.conf file to have
a line like this:

amandaidx stream tcp nowait operator /amanda/libexec/amindexd   amindexd amidxtape

The last bit (amidxtape) should not be there.   I'm almost certain that you
have two lines merged together, since the "amidxtape ..." line usually
follows the amandaidx line in the examples.

I hope this helps,

-Ben

--
Benjamin Lewis                        Thank goodness modern convenience is a
Database Analyst/Programmer                  thing of the remote future.