Jennifer Peterson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wonder if anybody can help me out with this problem.  I installed
> amanda-client-2.4.2p2-1.i386.rpm on my Redhat 7.1 box, and I have
> amandad running through xinetd like so:
> service amanda
> {
>         socket_type             = dgram
>         protocol                = udp
>         wait                    = no
>         user                    = amanda
>         group                   = disk
>         server                  = /usr/lib/amanda/amandad
>      disable                    = no
>      groups          = yes
>      only_from       = "backup_computer"
>      }
>
> When I restart xinetd, the amanda service starts up just fine, and when
> I amcheck from my backup computer, no errors are reported. However,
> after about 20 minutes or so, I get this in my syslog:
>
> Oct 22 15:24:11 my_computer xinetd[29480]: amanda service was
> deactivated because of looping
> Oct 22 15:24:41 my_computer amandad[30051]: error receiving message: timeout
>
> The amandad error log on my_computer reads basically the same thing:
> amandad: dgram_recv: timeout after 30 seconds
> amandad: error receiving message: timeout
>
> At this point amcheck also fails.
>
> If I restart xinetd right before the backup begins, then the backup works.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jenn Peterson

Hello Jennifer,

xinetd usually disables a service if it is called more than 10 times a
second.
However, if you have to dump much disks, this number is to small.

To change this behaviour put the following line in your
/etc/sysconfig/xinetd on the client:

EXTRAOPTIONS="-loop 100"

and restart xinetd.
This will let xinetd start amandad up to 100 times a second.

I hope it works,
Bram.