Christophe,

I use the samba package extensively (2.2.1a), though not for backup with
amanda (yet) as you are trying.

I tried a simple tar test using smbclient and had no problems. I connected
to the client (my laptop, Win2k SP2, NTFS) from my amanda server (RH 7.1) as
both myself and as my amanda user (member of the local Backup Operators
group). Tarred up about 800K worth of files no problem. Then tested a bigger
set of files (116 files, 46 directories, 550MB) also with no problems.

Suspecting it might be disk space issue, I even tried this last test in a
directory with not enough disk space to hold the resulting tar file. It
failed as expected, but never froze.

Try running your smbclient tests with a debug level of 3 and a log file
(smbclient -l log -d 3) and see what the log says if/when the freeze occurs.
Increasing the log level (up to 10) will give you incredible amounts of
information (every function entry I believe).

Also, check the Event Log on the client. Does the freezing only occur with
one client or do other 2000 clients behave similarly? If not every client
behaves the same, check permissions and/or service packs.

I suspect the freeze occurs because the file may be in use. Or, if the tar
is running for some time, perhaps a network problem.

I searched the samba lists I'm a member of ([EMAIL PROTECTED],
[EMAIL PROTECTED]) and didn't see any posts from yourself.
You may try posting there also, check samba.org for the appropriate list
(samba-users?).

HTH,
Doug