On Mon, 3 Dec 2001, Joseph Myers wrote:

- I have successfully completed a backup but am now trying to figure out the
- recover portion of the AMANDA program.  Afterall, what good is a backup if
- you can't recover it.  Here is my dilemna.  I have two computers on a
- network.. Alpha1 and Intelraid1.  Intelraid1 is the server and Alpha1 is
- the client so I'm trying to run amrecover on Alpha1 obviously.  Here is the
- command I'm running followed by the output
-
- root@alpha1 /]# amrecover -C alpha1 -s intelraid1 -t intelraid1 -d
- /RAID/alpha1
- AMRECOVER Version 2.4.2p2. Contacting server on intelraid1 ...
- 220 intelraid1 AMANDA index server (2.4.2p2) ready.
- 200 Access OK
- Setting restore date to today (2001-12-03)
- 200 Working date set to 2001-12-03.
- 200 Config set to alpha1.
- 200 Dump host set to alpha1.xxx.xxx
- Can't determine disk and mount point from $CWD
- amrecover> setdisk /dev/sda3
- Scanning /RAID/alpha1...
-   20011121: found Amanda directory.
- 200 Disk set to /dev/sda3.
- No index records for disk for specified date
- If date correct, notify system administrator
- amrecover> setdisk /dev/sda3
- Scanning /RAID/alpha1...
-   20011121: found Amanda directory.
- 200 Disk set to /dev/sda3.
- No index records for disk for specified date
- If date correct, notify system administrator
-
- Ok.. here is the directory listing of /RAID/alpha1 on intelraid1:
-
- drwx------    2 amanda   amanda       4096 Dec  3 10:58 20011121
-
- And inside 20011121/ :
- -rw-------    1 amanda   amanda   3925999616 Nov 21 11:12
- 192.168.1.3._dev_sda3.0
-
- obviously, I just did a dump onto the holding disk here because we have 100
- GB of RAID space to utilize so a tape drive just seems pointless.  I'm
- pretty sure indexing is off, I don't know how to turn it on at least.  My
- indexdir in my amanda.conf file is set to /usr/local/etc/amanda/alpha1.
- Can someone just tell me either (1) how to get this to work like it should
- or (2) how to use amrestore properly to get this to work?  It's not
- imperative that I use this backup archive. The computer still works great
- and everything.  I just need to make sure I can recover the files properly
- so if I have to turn on indexing or create another dump.. it's not a
- problem at all.  Thanks for any help.

What I so is add indexing to my global dumptype and reference that in
sucessive dumptypes:

define dumptype global {
    comment "Global definitions"
    index yes