Hi,

  I'm trying to install the tapeless amanda-242-tapeio sourceforge version
on a FreeBSD-4.4 white box:

I ran autogen twice, getting which I assume is a harmless error:

        configure.in:1617: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without
                                default to allow cross compiling

I ran configure thusly, which seems to go well:

        hotpink# ./configure --prefix=/home/amanda --with-user=amanda   \
                                --with-group=backup
The make doesn't get very far:

        hotpink# make
        Making all in config
        Making all in common-src
        "Makefile", line 440: Need an operator
        make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
        *** Error code 1

Line 440 of common-src/Make looks like:

        438     DEPS_MAGIC := $(shell mkdir .deps > /dev/null 2>&1 || :)
        439
        440     -include $(DEP_FILES)
        441
        442     mostlyclean-depend: