On Friday 28 December 2001 11:41 pm, Amanda Listee wrote:
>Hi,
>
>  I'm trying to install the tapeless amanda-242-tapeio
> sourceforge version on a FreeBSD-4.4 white box:
>
>I ran autogen twice, getting which I assume is a harmless error:
>
>       configure.in:1617: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without
>                               default to allow cross compiling
>
>I ran configure thusly, which seems to go well:
>
>       hotpink# ./configure --prefix=/home/amanda --with-user=amanda   \
>                               --with-group=backup
>The make doesn't get very far:
>
>       hotpink# make
>       Making all in config
>       Making all in common-src
>       "Makefile", line 440: Need an operator
>       make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
>       *** Error code 1
>
>Line 440 of common-src/Make looks like:
>
>       438     DEPS_MAGIC := $(shell mkdir .deps > /dev/null 2>&1 || :)
>       439
>       440     -include $(DEP_FILES)
>       441
>       442     mostlyclean-depend:
>
>Don't know what to do at this point.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Alex Neilson
>Zarcomm Consulting
>Linux FreeBSD Solaris
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I'd suspect you didn't run the ./configure with enough options.
Here is my own little almost one liner shell script I use just so
I don't forget, or do it with a typu  :)
===========
#!/bin/sh
make clean
rm -f config.status config.cache
./configure --with-user=amanda --with-group=amanda \
--with-owner=amanda --with-tape-device=/dev/nst0 \
--with-changer-device=/dev/sg2 --with-gnu-ld --prefix=/usr/local \
--with-debugging=/var/log/amanda-dbg/ \
--with-tape-server=192.168.1.1 --with-amandahosts \
--with-configdir=/usr/local/etc/amanda
===========

You can adjust the locations speced above to suit your self, and
the devices too.  If you don't have a tape changer, remove that
particular option.  As you can see, the user and group amanda
belongs to is a compiled in option.  I find that having
everything owned by amanda:amanda seems to work for me.

The important thing is that you have what is to you, a consistent
installation from each build so that updates (amanda is a dynamic
piece of work, often fixing a couple of things per week if you
suck from the cvs regularly.

--
Cheers, gene