I am curious if people see failed backups regularly, occasionally, or
hardly at all due to IO errors on the tapeserver bus.  My own failed
backups seem to be linked to questionable tapes which may have been
ready to fail anyways.  Unfortunately, the ecrix tapes are very
expensive to me and I hate having to replace them since each one is
almost $100.  The tape errors are about rewinding or issues with the tape
itself.

What are other's experiences with the VXA-1 or is tape just a dirty
media and tapes fail very often, etc?  I wish I knew the history of some
of the tapes, but I don't.  I also upgraded the firmware on the VXA-1
since I have no idea when that was last done.  I have run a tape cleaner
through the tape drive recently (perhaps a week ago or so).

Secondarily, I am curious if people have recommendations for scsi-based
tape drive solutions which would work well on a home LAN configured as
follows:

2 debian unstable systems doing desktop and one webserver on testing
1 Windows XP Pro box (workstation/desktop)
1 BSD box doing critical stuff (firewall)
1 Windows 98 SE box (kidster computer)
1 debian laptop

The linux systems are all running a recent kernel.  Each system probably
has a few gigs of used up space except for the BSD box.  Now the VXA-1
backs up all the *nix stuff easily on one tape and I like that
operation!

Thanks and a happy New Year to all of you!

--
Michael Perry | "Do or do not; there is no try" Master Yoda
[EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://www.lnxpowered.org