I have a cron job emailing me a sorted index list every night after backup
has been performed. Look:

date       host      disk                lv tape or file file status
2002-01-17 localhost /                    1 daily6         10 OK
2002-01-17 localhost /boot                1 daily6          2 OK
2002-01-17 localhost /games               1 daily6          1 OK
2002-01-17 localhost /home/drivers        1 daily6          7 OK
2002-01-17 localhost /home/ke             2 daily6         14 OK
2002-01-17 localhost /home/software       1 daily6          4 OK
2002-01-17 localhost /tmp                 1 daily6          3 OK
2002-01-17 localhost /usr                 1 daily6         13 OK
2002-01-17 localhost /var                 1 daily6         12 OK
<snip>
2002-01-16 localhost /                    1 daily5          4 OK
2002-01-16 localhost /boot                0 daily5         10 OK
2002-01-16 localhost /games               0 daily5          7 OK
2002-01-16 localhost /home/drivers        0 daily5         12 OK
<snip>

It's sortet by date rather than disk so that I can find the latest full and
incremental backup in a hurry. It gives me complete oversight of where to
find the tapes of backed up disks. The list also has the filemark numbers
to one could easily restore from a floppy with minimum system and tar. One
could also tar the amanda database and also email/baskup this on another
machine. In my case that would be overkill, the anamda database would
quickly be recovered from the tape containing /var with the above list.
All that is left to backup is metadata, amandaconfig (to know dumptype
etc.) and the boot block. Get the new disk(s), full recover and back in
business.

I have a small script that collects most of these (except the bootblock)
and send me an email, I run it after any change.

ps. If you spot any problems in the above please let me know. I hate to
find out the hard way. It's a new setup and full recover will be tested for
the first time this weekend, exiting ;). As you know there's no points for
backing up, only restoring.

best,
Kasper