Does anybody else have additional feedback on this reply from, Greg?  We
are regarding a secure backup scheme for amanda whereby the backups are
passed to a gzip wrapper that encrypts the data with gpg and then
forwards it to the real gzip for further compression.  I'd wondered
about the utility of sending an encrypted stream to gzip, but kept that
part in because of general laziness and admitted ignorance.  It
shouldn't hurt anything except speed, but, since speed is now perhaps an
issue, I might take the final gzip step out unless somebody can tell me
why I'd want to keep it.  The documentation in question resides at
http://security.uchicago.edu/tools/gpg-amanda

Thanks,

Jenn