A lot of my issues with the client and dump were resolved by using
the "advfs.diff" patch located here:
<http://www.amanda.org/patches.html>

Question: Have all these patches been rolled into post-2.4.2p2 builds?

"All the sudden" amanda and vdump and everything is just working like
a charm on OSF1 (Tru64) v5.1

Though, I am still interested in forcing the use of tar (gnutar 1.13).

Currently, I have this in my configuration however it is calling vdump:

        --with-gnutar=/usr/local/gnu/bin/tar

This is after the advfs.diff patch was applied.

Question: How do I force the dump program to use gnutar?

Oh... and the no-record option does perform the backup however with
this dumptype specified the "backup command" (e.g. dump, vdump, etc)
will not update its state file (e.g. /etc/dumpdates)